Creating Random Colour Absorption


It has been a long time since my last posting. In spite of the situation in our world right now, I have been busy. I was lucky enough to have my exhibition go ahead with in person viewing just before the second wave meant shutdowns again. With that finished, I have been excited to explore a new idea, which I am calling random colour absorption.


I wanted to explore paint absorption into different textures in a way that was random and did not result in a solid colour, but in variations in the absorption of the paint.

As Lutradur absorbs paint right through it, that seemed like a good base to use. Spraying with water increases the absorption through this web like spunbonded material which helps the paint go through it and I thought would continue to anything dyeable on its surface. It worked on my sample, so I was ready to try a larger piece.


This is my first piece in this series. I’ll go through my steps in creating it.


I started off creating several blanket stitch circles over white cotton yarn and others over white cotton fabric.


This creates a firm, yet pliable circle. I made several in different sizes, using my fingers to wrap the yarn or fabric around several times in order to have a base for the blanket stitches.

After making several in different sizes, I played with a layout and realized that a finer thread (cotton pearl #12) would be the best for stitching them to the Lutradur 100 weight.



Once stitched down, it was time to paint. I used high flow acrylics and water - painting on the back of the piece. I sprayed with water first, and at times as I was painting to ensure that the paint was absorbing through the Lutradur. There were a few spots where it wasn’t absorbing right through, so I touched up those areas from the front, being careful not to paint the circles.

Here’s how it looked when dry. I just love the uneven absorption of the paint. It left several areas of white or light, creating the value differences I hoped for. Interestingly, on some of the fabric circles the thread absorbed the paint totally, but often left the fabric mostly white.


I then stitched the piece to a felt layer with simple hand stitching. I added metallic wax to the ridges, mixing 3 colours to create a highlighted path through the piece. I also added some small markings with a Foil Quill and copper foil.


I knew I wanted an interesting edge before I started, another reason to choose Lutradur and acrylic felt. They will melt together when one uses a soldering iron to cut them together. However, I also wanted a clean back, so I added another layer of polyester on the back and cut all three layers with the soldering iron, fusing them all together.


I added beading in one of the circles to create my focal point.


I am very happy with how it turned out and am working on #2 in this series of explorations of this technique. The photo below is a detail shot.


Here's a photo of the back. I would not have chosen a shiny polyester normally, but I happened to have this fabric and didn't want to wait to fuse and finish the piece!














6 views0 comments
  • White Facebook Icon

Janet Scruggs Fibre Artist

1-250-320-8205

Please note the content on this site is for personal use only. If you would like to use anything from this site, please contact me. All contents of this website are Copyright © Janet Scruggs. All Rights Reserved.

JSDesigns

© 2016 created with Wix.com